Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Organized classroom starts with the papers on the teachers desk

As a substitute, and a student once, one thing that irked me more than any was a cluttered classroom.  I cannot stand to walk into a classroom and not know where the teacher teaches from, or where the students are to turn in their work.  No, I am not saying that the teacher has to have one specific spot that they have to stand in to teach from, or that there is a only one place for papers to be turned in throughout the class, but there needs to be some clearly defined organization in the classroom.

A clearly organized classroom, in my opinion, starts with the teachers desk.  If the teachers desk is well organized, clean, and everything neatly labeled, then the remaining of the room should follow suit easily. 
First thing is first... every paper that will sit on the teachers desk should have a clearly labeled home.  There are tons of paper organizers out on the market that will work.  It all depends if you want wire or plastic, what color you want, or even, you can make your own.  Some organizers let paper lay flat, on their edges, or even at a slant.  You can also choose if you want them to have 2 slots, or more.  After you have found which paper organizer you want to use, then you need to figure out how you are going to label it, or even not label; however be the case, I suggest that the slots on the organizer need to be labeled.  Some organizers come with a place for a label. If there is no place for a label, you can use folders that sit in the slots and the folders, then, have the labels on them.  This is a good choice for those who use the stand-up organizers.  Using the folders  help keep the papers neatly bundled without using paper clips, rubber bands, staples, etc. as they stand up on their ends, while helping prevent curving, rolling, bending, crumpling, etc.

Once you have figured out what files or bundles of paper need sitting on top of your desk, then you can develop a game plan for emptying the folders.  I suggest that you have the following files readily on top of your desk at all times: Planner, Attendance Record, Emergency Plans Folder, Substitute Folder, Office Folder, Urgent Folder, Incoming Mail Folder, and even a Student Notes To and From Home.  Since you do not teach from your desk (or at least you shouldn't)  I would suggest that you have another paper organizer somewhere else in the room readily accessible to all students for the students homework and one for the lesson plans for the week.  I will later blog about those.

Please keep in mind that I am just putting these blogs on here as a way for me to write and share my ideas and findings about things in the classroom.  I am also going to blog along with this information about advertisers.  This will be a form of income for me and my husband as I continue through school.  Feel free to comment, add things, and critique what I say.  I am by no means a educator, however I am learning to be one.  Advice, corrections, and additions will always be welcomed as long as they are presented to me in a respectful, honest form.  Thank you for reading my second blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment