Friday, April 5, 2013

Practicum Love- first week in the classroom


Yay!  I have finally began my practicum.  It feels so good.  I love my mentoring teacher, the students, and the staff. I do not care if there is a licensed teacher in the room with me,  I grab the reigns when I feel I need to and run with them.  One thing that I have learned with my practicum is to just jump in there and do what you know needs to be done.  If you have questions ask them, and follow your mentoring teacher everywhere except for the bathroom (that is just wrong).   I have already spent about 15 minutes in the principles office. No I did not get into trouble,  he invited me into his office while he talked to the 4th grade teachers about students who's parents needed a call from the principle due to students lacking in their work.  It was nice to know that they are wholly welcoming me into their school with open arms.

If you are beginning practicums or student teaching, all I can say is just jump in and go for it.  If you have ideas, express them. If you have questions, ask them. And, most of all, DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE CONTROL.  You are there to get a hands on experience in teaching and you will either grab that bull by the horns and run with him, or you will jump off and throw your hands in the air (at which time the kids will run all over you like little bulls).  Don't hesitate, that is when you will begin second guessing yourself.  

I pondered over what I should take to my practicum school for months, and I even resorted to searching the internet.  I could not find anything about what I should take to the practicum with me.  After some intense pondering, I can to the conclusion that I only needed some basic materials.  Here they are:

Pencil
Pen (colored, black, and or red)
Paper- for notes
Time sheet
Identification
Hand Sanitizer
Snack
Ice water
Ibuprofen (taken before entering the school)
And lastly, Your Sanity

Make sure that when you enter that school you have a clear head, and open eyes and ears. Upon entering that school, those kids are your responsibility.

A little piece of advice my instructor gave me is: "If at any point you feel that teaching is not for you then get out".  Don't do something that you regret.  If you second guess teaching, then it may not be for you.  Don't stay in the teaching field and waste space,  get out and let someone else who wants to be there do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment